I've been natural for so long even when it was NOT fashionable! The biggest challenges I dealt with were dryness and being able to quickly style my hair and run out the door. I don't like spending a lot of time on hair nowadays. I honestly don't have time to spend hours on it. Thus the picture of my FOUR DAY OLD COILS featured in this piece! My daughter already has a super full head of hair that I need to lovingly take care of. It takes time and energy because my goal is to give her the best possible experience with her hair. So I reserve my energy for her hair which leaves me desperate for easy styling solutions for my 4B/C hair!
My hair is ridiculously easy to manage and yours can be too! You might not believe me but I know this to be true because I've walked this walk for so very long! Part of this journey is learning your hair and changing with it. What I have learned is that:
1. Curly, coily hair loves plenty of moisture. Moisturized hair will be soft to the touch and will be easier to style. Your curl or coil will also have a spring or resistance to it when you squeeze it. Shrinkage goes hand in hand with moisture so just accept it and work with your hair.
2. I don't comb my hair often. That is with a physical comb that has teeth! I use my fingers a lot. This gentle approach to caring for my hair has given it the opportunity to express its unique curl. I'm quite shocked at the change I'm experiencing especially now that I'm leaving it out a lot more than before.
3. I like the curls my fingers create when I finger comb my hair. If I work the Naturaz Curl Defining Cream or Gel in sections, I get some nicely defined small curls that are about one and a half to two millimeters in diameter. These styling products help to smooth my cuticle so that my hair is shinier and less frizzy, while enabling me to define my unique small curls. I use the Naturaz Styling Moisturizer before or after applying the cream or gel. I love the protective anti-oxidant properties and emollient properties of Sunflower Lecithin! Either sequence works for me. I like applying the styling products prior to bed so that I don't have to do much to my hair in the morning plus I prefer how my hair looks as the curls age. The curls keep getting more defined! The picture you see is of my curls on day four! It takes me five minutes or less to do my hair each morning.
If thinking of even getting to this step seems onerous to you and you're just about to use a chemical to ease your hair styling, check out To Texturize Or Not To Texturize.
4. Once my hair is defined, all I do is pin it back. I typically use two bobby pins and stretch my hair by pinning it backwards. That way the front and middle parts of my hair style stretch further down to enhance my style. I don't pin the very bottom section of my hair. Sometimes I even forget to pin it back!
5. I then tie a scarf or wear a satin bonnet to bed.
6. When I get up in the morning, I take off the bobby pins, ruffle my hair and arrange it as I'd like. In less than 5 minutes I'm done with my hair! I can maintain the integrity of this hair style for almost a week if I don't participate in sweaty exercises like hot yoga which I love. Even then, it's so easy to reapply the Naturaz Curl Defining Gel or Cream as needed and revive my style.
7. I refresh with the Naturaz Rehydrating Mist & Detangler. I love how it rehydrates my hair whenever I need it.
Leave us a comment or question or write to us at email@example.com if you need some help!